The jury in a Prince Albert murder trial heard 17-year-old Clayton Bear was not able to name his shooter before he died in 2014.
Jordan Herron, 23, and Orren Johnson, 28, are charged with first-degree murder in connection with the death.
Constable Brian Glynn, a 12-year veteran of the Prince Albert Police Service, testified police entered a home on 27th St. E. with their weapons drawn. He said they were quickly directed to a bedroom at the back of the house where they found Bear suffering from a gunshot wound with several females attending to him.
“There was one male down on the floor,” Glynn told the court today, Feb. 6. “They advised me that it was Clayton Bear.”
There was blood spattered on the bedsheets, Glynn said, but Bear’s injury was “just a single wound, with a little droplet of blood.”
Glynn said he told the females to leave the room, then he asked Bear “point blank” who shot him.
“I asked him, ‘who did this to you?’ and his response was ‘I don’t know,’” Glynn testified.
Glynn said he immediately noticed Bear was carrying a weapon — a collapsible baton strapped to his belt, which he confiscated.
Glynn said once Parkland Ambulance attended he decided to ride to the hospital with Bear in case he said anything else which might identify his attackers. The wounded youth, he said, seemed to resist the efforts of paramedics at times, but offered no information.
The jury also heard from 25-year-old Mitchell Pellerin, who lived in the house across the street when the shooting occurred. Pellerin said he was watching a movie in his bedroom on the night in question when he heard “loud popping sounds” which he first thought were fireworks.
Going to the window, Pellerin said he saw two groups of two men running from the house, with one group apparently chasing the other. One man from the first group pulled out “what looked to be a handgun” and fired twice into the air, he said.
The shots, he said, deterred the pair’s pursuers and they jumped into a parked Jeep and took off moments later while he watched through the window. Pellerin said he was unable to describe any of the individuals other than they wore dark clothing.
On cross-examination, Herron’s lawyer Mary McAuley pointed out discrepancies between Pellerin’s testimony at the trial and his sworn statements made during the preliminary inquiry. During his earlier statements, McAuley pointed out, Pellerin said both groups were armed.
“Right from the start… it was the first group [with the gun],” Pellerin said, and noted he was unprepared and rushed through the preliminary hearing.
The trial, which is being held at Prince Albert’s Court of Queen’s Bench, is expected to last until Feb. 17.
Man whose arrest was streamed on social media to serve one year in jail
A man whose arrest was featured in a viral Facebook video, has pleaded guilty to several charges...
READ MORE +
Veterans group creates trust fund for first responders after Broncos crash
A trust fund set up for the first responders of the Humboldt Broncos bus crash has so far raised...
READ MORE +
Six from Humboldt crash remain in hospital, two in critical condition
Six individuals impacted by the Humboldt Broncos bus crash remain in hospital according to a...
READ MORE +
Join the Discussion
We are happy to provide a forum for commenting and discussion. Please respect and abide by the house rules: Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic, be responsible, share your knowledge, and please suggest removal of comments that violate these standards. See full commenting rules.