WASHINGTON — Vice Admiral Robert Harward has turned down an offer to be President Donald Trump's new national security adviser, the latest blow to a new administration struggling to find its footing.
Harward told The Associated Press that the Trump administration was "very accommodating to my needs, both professionally and personally."
"It's purely a personal issue," Harward said Thursday evening. "I'm in a unique position finally after being in the military for 40 years to enjoy some personal time."
Asked whether he had requested to bring in his own staff at the National Security Council, Harward said, "I think that's for the president to address."
Following Flynn's ouster, administration officials said his deputy, KT McFarland, was staying on at the NSC. McFarland is a former Fox News analyst.
Harward would have replaced retired Gen. Michael Flynn, who resigned at Trump's request Monday after revelations that he misled
Harward, a former Navy SEAL, served as deputy commander of U.S. Central Command under Gen. James Mattis, who is now
Upon retirement in 2013 after a nearly 40-year career in the Navy, Harward became chief executive officer for
Officials said earlier this week that there were two other contenders in the running for the job: acting national security adviser Keith Kellogg and retired Gen. David Petraeus.
Petraeus, a retired four-star general, resigned as CIA director in 2012 and pleaded guilty to one
He was also fined $100,000 and remains on probation.
Julie Pace, The Associated Press
Join the Discussion
We are happy to provide a forum for commenting and discussion. Please respect and abide by the house rules: Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic, be responsible, share your knowledge, and please suggest removal of comments that violate these standards. See full commenting rules.