(File photo/ paNOW Staff)
Shelter situation

YWCA announces closing date for Stepping Stones homeless shelter

Mar 31, 2025 | 12:55 PM

The organization that runs the Stepping Stones homeless shelter on Prince Albert’s exhibition grounds, has announced a closing date.

According to a press release issued on Monday by the YWCA, effective April 30, the 45-bed, enhanced, low-barrier, 24/7 homeless shelter will no longer be operating at its current location.

Noting a desire to be in a permanent shelter by now, CEO Donna Brooks explained the current location under the grandstand was intended to be temporary and is no longer a safe alternative to operate as a shelter. She added they also wanted to wait until winter was over.

“Either way it’s a hard decision. You stay there and it’s not safe but if you put people out in the middle of winter, its not safe either,” she said.

In addition to overcrowding pressures, there’s also been concerns raised related to air flow and ventilation.

A picture taken in 2020, inside the shelter. (File photo/ paNOW Staff)

Going forward, the YWCA said they are committed in working with the city to find a new temporary location for Stepping Stones. Key considerations are a large open area, showers, kitchen, and proper ventilation.

“The last thing we want is to have people to have nowhere to go,” Brooks said.

“Even when they find a place for a new build, it’s gonna be eight months to a year away.”

YWCA Prince Albert holds the contract with the provincial government as the service provider, however is dependent on the City of Prince Albert for the permit to operate and therefore require them to identify a location for a temporary shelter.

Talks regarding a permanent homeless shelter in Prince Albert have been ongoing for years and included four public meetings. At last week’s Executive Committee meeting, council voted six to three in favour of building in the vicinity of the current temporary shelter at the Exhibition Grounds.

With a better idea of where council wants the shelter, Director of Community Development Craig Guidinger indicated work on preparing a development application would start right away.

Services Provided in the Absence of a Shelter

If the city is unable to provide a temporary location by April 30, the YWCA aims to still be able to provide services to the homeless population through an outreach/drop-in program. This will also involve the YWCA’s various partners in the city.

“It was not an easy decision but it was a decision that had to be made for the safety of our staff and our clients,” Brooks said.

A wheelchair in front of a tent in Prince Albert’s downtown a week ago. The number of homeless people in the city has grown and now numbers about 230. (Susan McNeil/paNOW Staff)

nigel.maxwell@pattisonmedia.com

On Blue Sky: @nigelmaxwell.bsky.social

View Comments