Portuguese procession held in Montreal despite permit refusal
MONTREAL — The annual Portuguese Santo Cristo procession took place Sunday in Montreal’s Plateau-Mont-Royal, drawing relief from the city’s Portuguese community after a permit was refused last week.
Organizing member Emanuel Linhares said the group behind the procession began the permit process on Feb. 12 and only received the refusal 10 days before the event.
The procession is a long-standing religious and cultural tradition in Montreal’s Portuguese community, said Linhares. It is rooted in devotion to “Senhor Santo Cristo dos Milagres”, a Catholic devotion originating in the Azores, part of Portugal, where annual spring processions honour a statue of Christ believed by devotees to be associated with miracles and protection, he said.
Monica Monteiro, 46, said she’s been attending the procession almost every year since she was little.

