From left, Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney, British Prime Minister Keir Starmer, U.S. President Donald Trump and French President Emmanuel Macron during a working session at the G7 summit in Evian-les-Bains, France, Tuesday, June 16, 2026. (Image Credit: AP Photo/Thibault Camus, Pool)
Economy

U.S. tariffs to hit Canada after trade talks collapse

Aug 22, 2026 | 7:38 AM

OTTAWA — The United States imposed 50 per cent tariffs on billions of dollars in Canadian exports Saturday, after the two countries failed to reach a new trade deal before an extended deadline imposed by President Donald Trump earlier in the week.

In response, Prime Minister Mark Carney announced Canada will retaliate with matching dollar-for-dollar tariffs. Carney also suspended talks with the United States and summoned his negotiators back to Ottawa.

“In recent weeks, we made important progress toward improving Canada’s position as having the best deal in the world with the U.S. However, that progress has not been enough to meet our objectives for Canadians,” Carney said.

“As a result, this evening, I have decided to suspend trade negotiations with the U.S. and have directed Canada’s negotiators to return to Ottawa. They have worked hard, in good faith, to defend the interests of Canadians throughout these negotiations up until the very last minute. However, last-minute changes in the U.S. proposed terms were unfair, uneconomic, and called into question the reliability of any deal.”

“Despite the U.S. offer to Canada to receive the best treatment of any major exporter to our market, new demands and walk-backs of other commitments by Canada have upended the careful balance reached in the past days,’ U.S. Trade Representative Jamieson Greer said.

“In addition, Canada is continuing to maintain its prolonged retaliation against the United States, including, among other things, flat-out prohibitions on certain American goods and services.”

More to come

View Comments