Stanley ordered to pay $3,000 for weapons charge

From battlefordsNOW
April 16, 2018 - 3:49pm Updated: April 17, 2018 - 10:51am

Gerald Stanley was back in court Monday and received a $3,000 fine after pleading guilty to improperly storing several firearms at his Biggar-area home. 

Judge Bruce Bauer accepted a joint recommendation from Crown prosecutor Chris Browne and defence lawyer Scott Spencer at North Battleford Provincial Court.  

Stanley, 56, faced two counts of improperly storing a firearm. Stanley was convicted of the one count after Crown withdrew the second due to a lack of evidence. 

In addition to the fine, he received a 10-year weapons prohibition and forfeiture of the weapons involved — six firearms plus a BB gun and a revolver.  

Browne said the joint submission was at the higher end of the sentencing range fine for the charge. 

The charges stem from a police investigation following an August, 2016, incident in which Colten Boushie of Red Pheasant First Nation was fatally shot on Stanley's Biggar-area farmyard. After a jury trial, Stanley was acquitted of second-degree murder in the death of Boushie last February.

The firearms found to be improperly stored did not include the Tokarev semi-automatic pistol which fatally shot Boushie. 

When Spencer addressed the court Monday he said the firearms found at Stanley's farmhouse was "not atypical of what you find in many rural homes."

He added the joint submission recommendation for the fine was within the range for improper storage involving less than 10 guns.    

Stanley was also given a $900 surcharge.

Spencer went on to say it was a "tragic and unique situation" which led to Boushie's death adding Stanley "wishes he never owned a gun.”

Security clearance was in effect inside the courthouse before court. A number of Boushie supporters also attended.

After the sentencing Monday, Boushie's brother Jace Baptiste spoke to the press outside the courthouse.

He said it was "pretty upsetting" to see Stanley again. 

"To me Colten Boushie's life, my little brother, was worth $3,000," said Baptiste. "There is no justice here. My mom and some family members couldn't be here because they are at the United Nations talking about the case in New York City. So we had some family, friends show up, supporters. I'd like to thank everybody once again through this time. We have no closure. I don't think we'll ever get that closure. Apparently, you can get away with murder if you remain silent and have a lawyer."


[email protected]

On Twitter: @battlefordsNOW

Vehicles backed up 15 km on Highway 40

Join the Discussion

We are happy to provide a forum for commenting and discussion. Please respect and abide by the house rules: Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic, be responsible, share your knowledge, and please suggest removal of comments that violate these standards. See full commenting rules.